How to buy jewelry for someone else

Jewelry is something almost every woman can always use more of.  I don't think I've EVER thought "I have too much jewelry".  However, I have gotten jewelry gifts that weren't my style that I never wore.  That's a little like not getting a gift at all.  With that in mind, I've thought of a few tips that I wish people who I know would read.

1.  Don't get jewelry that YOU like if you don't have the same taste as the person that you're buying for.  Do they wear the same clothes that you wear?  If not, they probably won't like the same jewelry.  So....

2.  Observe what they already have and wear.  Do they wear earrings, necklaces, rings, bracelets, or all of them?  I wear earrings, necklaces, rings and only occasionally bracelets.  I type on a computer almost all day, and I can't stand bracelets jangling against the keyboard.

3.  Once you see what they wear, take note of what style of jewelry they favor. 
a)  Do they wear simple, small chains with a small pendant?  If so, silver or gold?
b)  Do they wear gemstone or beaded jewelry?  If so, what colors do they seem to like? Any repetition as to what gems?  Pearls?  Turquoise?  If you're not sure what the beads/stones are, just note what colors.  Are they bright and sparkly?  Neutral colors?  Shiny or flat for a finish?

c)  Do they wear long, dangly, sparkly earrings or small studs? 

d) Trendy looking or classic?  Hint:  the trend now is several of the same thing - bangles and bracelets, or large chain necklaces. Classic is generally either silver or gold, and understated.

4.  Consider where you normally see the person.  If you always see them at work, you're seeing their business jewelry. If you only see them once or twice a month when you go clubbing, you're only seeing their evening jewelry.  If you know them well, then you can probably guess their style for any occasion.  If you don't, stick with the type of jewelry that you see them wearing.

5.  Make sure that they can return the jewelry if they don't like it.  You don't have to give them a receipt unless it's required by the seller, but at least make sure that they can see where you got their gift.

6.  Give jewelry that's personalized in some way.  A necklace or bracelet with space for/photos of their children, pets, etc. or a charm with hand stamping or engraving.  Even when the jewelry wasn't my style I've always cherished & kept jewelry with these kind of things on it.

I hope these tips help you to breathe a little easier when choosing gifts of jewelry.  You will probably pick something that they love, and even if not, they'll appreciate the thought and effort.  Showing people that we chose something with them in mind is one of the most cherished gifts we can give, in my opinion.


Comments

Popular Posts