Summer clothing trends

I'm not necessarily talking about what top designers had out on the runway.  I'm talking about what I'm seeing in the stores, online, and in magazines.  These are just my observations, mind you.  See if any of it piques your interest, looks good on you, reflects who you are. Then choose.

1. Texture/Embellishments.  Instead of just one type of fabric, with one texture, there is a lot of things being added on.  Lace is everywhere, whether it's strips of it sewn on a shirt, or an entire lace dress.  I love a "mixed media" item, with several different tactile fabrics and trims. It adds interest to a garment.

2. The Crop Top.  If you don't know about it yet, start looking around.  We've had long button down tops, and lots of hi-low tops.  This year the crop top is back.  I loved crop tops back in the 80's and 90's, because I had a tiny waist.  Now I'm not loving them.  But I'm not who they're being marketed to, so I'll just note the trend and shut up.

3. Maxi skirts and dresses, still.  I've read a lot about "the midi" being the new thing, but when I look around, the maxi is still what I'm seeing in stores, online, and on people.  This trend can stay forever as far as I'm concerned.  I love a casual maxi on hot summer days.  Add the next trend and it's even more interesting.

4. Sheer/Translucent/see-through fabric.  Its been around for a few seasons and it's still popular.  Long dresses with some sheer panels at the bottom show just a bit of leg.  Sheer tops with cute bras or camisoles underneath are cool but still covered up.  It all leaves just a little to the imagination.

5. Stripes.  They never go away.  This year the ombre trend combines with stripes to create some beautiful effects.

6.  90's styles. If you loved it the first time, celebrate, 'cause it's back.  The fall saw Combat boots EVERYWHERE.  The classic Doc Martens were joined by all variations of combat boots.  I'm guessing some trendy women will rock them in the summer, too.  Small floral prints on long dresses, flannel/plaid shirts.  You get the idea.

7. Cut outs.  Shirts and dresses with laser cut-out designs.  Super cute!  And cool in more ways than one.

8.  The back as focal point.  There are a lot of shirts with open backs or cut-outs in the back this summer.  I love, love, love this trend!  Get some lacy or strappy bras or camisoles and flaunt your sexy back.  This is especially wonderful for those of us in a certain stage of life where we get hot often and suddenly.  Thank God for lightweight tops, cut-outs and fabrics that breathe!  For you younger women, just enjoy having a sexy back and having a body that can control it's thermostat.  Your day will come, and it sucks.

9.  Low heels and flats.  Finally, we get some shoe options where we can look good AND be comfortable.  The Birkenstock is back, baby.  Some aren't made by Birkenstock, but they all look like the ones that are.  And Gladiators have went knee-high.  The Gladiator shoe has been on-trend for awhile now, but the ones that have straps all the way up your calf are out there now, and they're sexy as hell.  Wear them with denim shorts, dresses, skirts… I love this trend, too.

I'm sure there are other trends that I'm missing, but these are the major ones I've noticed.  Which are your favorites?

Comments

Popular Posts