Sites for buying shoes and boots

Steve Madden Lolllys, from Steve Madden web site (also available at Macy's)
Before the days of online shopping, I bought most of my shoes and boots at Macy's, Marshall's, Loehmann's or DSW. DSW was great when I lived in Atlanta - so many choices! Although quite often I'd find a pair that I loved and they wouldn't have it in my size (I'm tall so I have big feet).  When I moved to Southern California, though, there wasn't a DSW near me.  So I reverted to the other afore-mentioned stores.  Marshall's and Loehmann's were great as far as price, but selection is limited and there was the size issue.  If I needed something specific, Macy's was my go-to.  The Macy's at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa had a huge footwear department.  So many choices!  And right beside the cosmetics counters!  (Whoever laid out that store was a genius.)

Around 2006 I heard about Zappos.  I remember thinking "who would order shoes online? How would you know if they fit and were comfortable?"  I'm now a Zappo's VIP customer. :-)  If you've ever bought shoes online, you're probably familiar with Zappos.  (If not, you're missing out!)  Zappos sells several things, but shoes are their specialty.  While there are many sites that sell shoes and clothing, what makes Zappos special is their customer service.  Once you order, your shoes get to you in no time.  If they don't fit or you just don't like them, you can return them for up to a year if they're not worn.  There's no charge for shipping, not when you buy the shoes, and not if you need to return them.

There are cheaper places online to buy shoes.  At one point I found out about another web site run by Zappo's named 6pm.  They have some of the same shoes for prices around $10.00 less.  I thought "why would I want to pay more for the same thing?"  I bought some shoes from 6pm.  Eventually, of course, I needed to return something.  That's when I figured out why the other place was cheaper.  You have to pay for shipping when you return something.  And you only get 30 days to return it.  Zappos gives you a YEAR, as long as you haven't worn the shoes.  Believe me, that comes in handy if you ever buy on impulse.

These days my go-to places for shoes are Zappos or Nordstrom's web site.  I'm a sucker for free shipping and easy returns. Occasionally I'll want a specific shoe, like my Steve Madden Lollly's or a certain color of Asics, so if they don't have them I'll go elsewhere and pay for shipping.  Amazon has a pretty good shoe selection, and you can get things at Steve Madden's web site and the Doc Marten web site that you can't find other places.  Plus Steve Madden often runs promos with free shipping.  Since I have giant feet, I sometimes need a size 11, and the only place I find that is at Steve Madden's site.  And the Troopas....  oh I love the Troopas!  I have the mocha leather ones and they're so cute.  Kind of a slightly more feminine version of Doc Martens.  I have a list of other colors I'd like to get them in.

Right now I'm searching for the perfect cognac boot.  I've found a few that are potentials, but I'm not sure they're exactly what I want.  Any suggestions?  I know that there are so many more web sites out there, but I can't search them all!  If one of you has found a great cognac boot or a great shoe site, please share.

I hate to do posts without pictures, so here are a few of my favorite shoes and boots.

Asics (can't remember style name) from Amazon

Mocha leather Troopas by Steve Madden, from Zappos

Purple flowered leather Doc Martens 1460's from Doc Marten USA web site
Wanted Breezys, from 6pm web site


Comments

Popular Posts